- The National Safety Science Campaign (NSSC) 2019 is being organized by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) in association with Quizcraft Global Knowledge Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (QGKS).
- NSSC 2019 comprises of 3 parts: The National Safety Science Quiz (NSSQ), Poster Contest and Safety Impact Film Contest.
- Only school students of classes 8 to 10 (both inclusive) are eligible to participate in the Quiz contest that is part of the NSSC 2019. Winners of NSSQ 2016, NSSQ 2017, and/or NSSQ 2018 are NOT eligible to participate in this quiz. If any such student does participate in the online round/city round; and his/her presence is discovered subsequently, such a student will be immediately disqualified from NSSC 2019.
- Only school students of classes 4 to 7 (both inclusive) are eligible to participate in the Poster Contest that is part of the NSSC 2019.
- Participation in the Impact Film Contest is restricted to applicants between 16 to 25 years of age as on the date of registration.
- Please note that an individual is only allowed to participate in either one of the three programmes i.e National Safety Science Quiz 2019, Poster Contest 2019 or Safety Impact Film Contest 2019.
- Students of schools affiliated to any Education Board are eligible to participate in the NSSC 2019. Similarly, students of any college or institute of higher learning affiliated to a recognized university, or deemed university, are eligible to participate in the Impact Films Contest 2019, subject to them falling in the stipulated age bracket.
- The different contests within the NSSC 2019 are open only to Indian citizens residing within the geographical territory of India only.
National Safety Science Quiz (NSSQ):
- Entry is through online registrations only. If you are a student who wishes to participate, you will need to register yourself online. Once you register online, you will receive a UID (unique identification number) that will also be your login password.
- Schools have the option of ‘Bulk Registration’ — and may register multiple sets of students directly. In such a case, each student will receive a username and a password from the organizers through the QGKS team.
- Individual students may independently register for the National Safety Science Quiz – but he / she will be allowed to participate in the Regional Quiz only if at least one more eligible student from the same school (and same branch in case of a ‘chain of schools’) registers and participates in the Quiz. These two students will, subject to their participation in the Online Round, be eligible to take part as a team representing their school at the Regional Quiz events of the National Safety Science Quiz.
- All registered students will be eligible to take Practice Quizzes with 10 questions in a Multiple-Choice Question (MCQ) format. Students can attempt these practice tests multiple times. It is mandatory for each student to take at least 1 (one) practice test before they can take the Online Qualifying Test (OQT).
- The scores obtained in the practice test(s) will not be shared with the school and will not be taken into account for qualifying for the Zonal Round.
- The Online Qualifying Test (OQT) will be a timed test, where each student will get 15 minutes to attempt 25 questions in an MCQ format.
- Students can use the username and password to take the online tests from any location, using any device.
- Students will be allowed a maximum of 2 attempts for the Online Qualifying Test (OQT) and the best of the 2 scores will be taken into consideration for qualifying for the next level.
- The organizers shall facilitate the online test and evaluate the entries. The system shall take into account the score obtained by the student as well as the time taken by each student, to rank students from each school in a merit list.
- The merit list with scores of all participating students will be sent to the respective schools, where the school will announce the Top 4 qualifying students for participation in the zonal rounds.
- The list of qualifying students from each school will also be put up on the NSSC website.
- 4 students (formed into 2 teams) from each school can participate in the written preliminary round of the Regional Quiz.
- However, only ONE team from any particular school will be able to qualify for the stage rounds of the Regional Quiz, regardless of the placings. The team with the higher score achieved in the written preliminary will be selected from the school.
- These Regional Quiz rounds will be organized at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi.
- Travel and/or other costs incurred for participation in these Regional Quizzes shall not be paid/reimbursed to schools or students.
- In case the school wishes to change any student for any reason whatsoever, prior permission must be taken from the organizers. The organizers may allow such substitution at their discretion.
- In no event will a student who has NOT participated in the online test be allowed to participate in the zonal round.
- Each Regional Quiz shall comprise a written qualifying round, from which the top 8 teams will be selected for a set of 2 (two) pre-final quizzes. The top 2 (two) teams from each pre-final will qualify for the Regional Finale. All the rounds shall be held at the same venue on the same day.
- The dates and venues for these Regional Quizzes shall be intimated to the schools at a later date, through the website as well as through emails/phone calls.
- Please note that the winners will have to bear a gift tax of 30% or such rates as applicable for the time being, in case of any cash prizes that are given away at any or all stages of the NSSC.
- Students who wish to participate in the Poster contest will have to create posters on the given theme.
- The theme is ‘Safe Schools, Safer Cities’.
- The entries will be valid only if they adhere to the prescribed format, as follows:
Paper Size: A3
Medium: Any (e.g. pencil, crayon, pen, water colour, gouache, acrylic…)
- No name, either of the student, or the school, is to be written on the poster.
- Students are to submit their posters to their respective schools for judging and selection.
- Each school shall submit its winning / selected entry online to the ULwebsite www.ulnssc.org
- The uploaded file size shall be between 2MB to 4MB. Files larger than this are likely to be rejected by the server. The submission MUST be made in .jpg or PDF format only. No other format shall be accepted, and may lead to disqualification from the contest.
- Submission of an entry will imply that the student in question has not plagiarized or copied, in part or in totality, from an existing artwork. It is expressly acknowledged that the student who submits such an entry, whether detected at the preliminary stage or after the contest is closed, will be responsible entirely for such an action.
- Any attempt to influence UL / QGKS will result in automatic disqualification from the contest.
- The decision of the judge(s) appointed by UL and/or QGKS shall be final, and no claims shall be entertained whatsoever.
- Submission of entry means that the participant student and school agree to abide by the rules of the contest.
- All submitted Posters and the details therein, shall become the property of UL in perpetuity, and may be used for promotion of the contest. In such case, the creator of the poster shall be acknowledged by name and school.
- No royalty shall be paid for use of the posters to anybody whatsoever.
Safety Impact Films Contest:
- This contest is open to all applicants between the ages of 16 to 25 as on 1st July 2019.
- Students/Individuals who are above the cut-off age of 25 as on 1st July 2019 will not be eligible for this contest.
- Applicants are required to send in their entries with a brief description and a 500-word synopsis on the online registration portal.
- They are also encouraged to upload an unlisted YouTube link of a video (shot on a mobile phone) upto a duration of 59 secs explaining their safety initiative / innovation.
- The applicant may be an individual or a group of individuals responsible for a safety initiative or innovation. In case, the initiative is by a group, one representative may register as the main applicant. Other members of the team can be added in the provided registration fields.
- However, if their impact story is selected, it may be noted that it will be the group’s effort that will be covered and not the representative individual’s effort alone.
- The selection of the success stories for the impact films will be the sole discretion of the UL selection committee.
- The selected individuals or teams will have to commit their time to the NSSC film production team and give them access to information and research about themselves and their safety initiative.
- They will also be required to extend all possible support and cooperation needed by the NSSC film production team towards the shooting of the film.
- UL will bear the expenses towards the production of the films.
- Once the films are produced and displayed on social media, UL will hold the rights to the films in perpetuity.
- The subjects featured in the film will not claim any right to ownership or distribution of the film.
- They can, however, share the film from the official handles of UL where the film has been displayed.
- Family members of UL and QGKS are not allowed to participate in NSSC 2019.
- Any attempt to influence the results will be construed as an unfair move and such teams/contestants will be disqualified.
- The participants understand and agree that the contests contained within NSSC 2019 are sponsored activities and the participation is voluntary.
- The participants understand that the organizers may alter or change the format of NSSC 2019, as well as the content of the applicable rules in relation to NSSC 2019 and that the organizers retain the right to make any such changes/amendments to the format and/or rules of the contest that they may deem necessary or fit, in the interest of the final benefit of the contest.
- The participants agree to abide by all the rules and regulations and to co-operate in every manner and to follow instructions of the organizers.
- The participants understand that all the rights including but not limited to the intellectual property rights, copyrights and all other allied, ancillary and subsidiary rights in any and all media like photographs, tapes, films and audio/video recordings of the events and activities that comprise the NSSC 2019, promotional activity and/or otherwise that may form part of or be allied to the NSSC 2019 whether now known or subsequently invented shall vest with the organizers and/or their affiliates absolutely for perpetuity, throughout the world. Participants grant the organizers a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and to create derivative works of all photographs, tapes, movies and recordings of the participants related to NSSC 2019, promotional activity and/or otherwise in and to NSSC 2019 concerning the participants related to NSSC 2019, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, and any other standard purposes.
- It is also understood and agreed to by the participants that the organizers shall have the right to use all materials produced in/during or for the NSSC 2019 and/or any footages relating to the program by any and all means throughout the world and shall also have the right to syndicate, license to third party, edit, cut, translate, dub, package or alter NSSC 2019 and/or any footages relating to the participation of the students as stated herein, and to combine them with other material for any purposes.
- The participants declare that they release the organizers, their directors, employees, contractors and agents/assigns from and against any actions, claims and/or demands that they may have now or in the future in relation to NSSC 2019. Contestants also waive their right to file either directly themselves or through their family/friends/associates/representatives, any applications, criminal and/or civil proceedings in any court or forum in India and/or any other jurisdiction, against the organizers to claim any damages or reliefs.
- The participants agree to indemnify and agree to keep the organizers, their employees, or any other person directly or indirectly connected to NSSC 2019 indemnified against any claim, loss, damages and liability arising as a result of their participation in any photo-shoots, workshops/ assignments, NSSC 2019 auditions and/or otherwise.
- The organizers reserve the right to halt, postpone, and/or cancel any part of the NSSC 2019 as they may deem fit. The organizers also reserve the right to change all or any part of terms & conditions that are applicable, without giving prior intimation of any kind and being liable for any consequential losses/damages.
- Nothing herein amounts to a commitment or representation by the organizers to conduct further or other quizzes/ contests.
- Comments of winners or materials sent to the organizers including feedback and other communications of any kind shall be deemed to be non-confidential. The organizers are free to reproduce, distribute and publicly display such feedback and NSSC 2019 entries without limitations or obligation of any kind. The organizers are also free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such feedback for any purpose.
- The organizers reserve the right to analyze and summarize data that they collect during the program and also reserve the right to publish, distribute, share summaries of such collected data with sponsors or other business partners without limitations or obligations of any kind.
- The decision of the organizers and/or their respective representatives, employees, directors, officers or agents with respect to NSSC 2019, any matter related thereto including the choice of questions or the manner of choosing of winners will be final and binding on all participants and no questions, correspondence, enquiries, etc. on the manner of conduct of NSSC 2019 from any party whatsoever will be entertained.
- In case of any dispute in relation to participation in NSSC 2019, the organizers and the participant(s) will try to resolve such dispute by negotiations in an amicable manner. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of India. It is understood that the Court of Bangalore shall have exclusive jurisdiction with respect to any dispute arising in connection with your participation in NSSC 2019.
- The interpretation and implementation of the Terms and Conditions shall be at the sole discretion of the organizers. Their decisions shall be final and binding, and not subject to challenge or appeal.
- The participation of the students in NSSC 2019 shall mean that they acknowledge that they have carefully read and understood the Terms and Conditions of NSSC 2019 and that they agree to adhere to and comply with the foregoing Terms and Conditions (as they now stand or as they may be changed or amended hereafter).