Terms & Conditions
- The National Safety Science Campaign (NSSC) 2018 is organized by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) in association with Xpress Minds Edutainment (P) Ltd. (XM).
- NSSC 2018 comprises of 3 parts: The National Safety Science Quiz, the Poster Making & Slogan Writing Contest and Safety Club.
- Only school students of grades 9th to 12th (both inclusive) are eligible to participate in the Quiz contest that is part of the NSSC 2018. Students who have participated in the TV round of NSSQ 2016 or NSSQ 2017 are NOT eligible to participate in this quiz. If any such student does participate in the online round/city round; and their presence is discovered subsequently, such a student will be immediately disqualified from NSSC 2018.
- Only school students of grades 5th to 8th (both inclusive) are eligible to participate in the Poster and Slogan contest that is part of the NSSC 2018.
- All registered schools are eligible to establish Safety Clubs.
- Students of schools affiliated to any Education Boards are eligible to participate.
- Different contests within the NSSC are open only to Indian citizens residing within the geographical territory of India only.
Part A: National Safety Science Quiz
- Entry is through online registrations only. If you are a student who wishes to participate, you will need to register yourself online. Once you register online you will receive a UID (unique identification number), that will also be your login password.
- Schools have the option of ‘Bulk Registration’ — and may register multiple sets of students directly. In such a case, each student will receive a username and a password from the organizers through the XM team.
- Individual students may register for the National Safety Science Quiz – but may participate in the Zonal Level Quiz only if at least one more eligible student from the same school (and same branch in case of a ‘chain of schools’) registers and participates in the Quiz. These two students will, subject to their participation in the Online Round, be eligible to take part as a team representing their school at the Zonal Round of the National Safety Science Quiz.
- All registered students will be eligible to take Practice Quizzes with 5 questions in a Multiple-Choice Question (MCQ) format. These are 6 separate practice tests, which students can attempt multiple times. It is mandatory for each student to take at least 1 (one) practice test at least once, prior to attempting the ‘Online Quiz’ for qualifying for the Zonal Round.
- The scores obtained in this test will not be shared with the school and will not be taken into account for qualifying for the Zonal Round.
- Once a student attempts any of the six practice quizzes, she/he is eligible for the ‘Online Test’.
- The ‘Online Quiz’ will be a timed test, where each student will get 10 minutes to attempt 30 questions in an MCQ format.
- Students can use the username and password to take the online tests from anywhere and any device.
- Students will be allowed a maximum of 2 attempts for the ‘Online Quiz’ and the best of 2 scores will be taken into consideration for qualifying for the next level.
- The organizers shall facilitate the online test and evaluate the entries. The system shall take into account the score obtained by the student as well as the time taken by each student to rank students from each school in a merit list.
- The merit list with scores of all participating students will be sent to their respective schools, where the school will announce the Top 2 qualifying students who will take part in the zonal rounds.
- The list of qualifying students from each school will also be put up on the NSSC website.
Zonal Level Quiz:
- The best two (2) students from each school shall represent the school at the Zonal Level Quiz. These will be organized at New Delhi, Jaipur, Lucknow, Bangalore, Chennai, Bhubaneshwar, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Pune. Travel and/or other costs shall not be paid/ reimbursed to schools participating in the Zonal Level Quiz.
- In case the school wishes to change any student for any reason whatsoever, prior permission must be taken from the organizers. The organizers may allow such substitution at their discretion. In no event will a student who has NOT participated in the online test be allowed to participate in the zonal round.
- Each Zonal Level Quiz comprise of a written round and an on-stage round. The top 6 teams shortlisted from the written round shall compete in the on-stage round. Both rounds shall be held at the same venue on the same day.
- The dates and venues for these Zonal Level quizzes shall be intimated to the schools at a later date.
- The winner from each zonal round (1 from each city) shall be invited to come to Bengaluru to participate in the National Rounds.
- There will thus be 10 winners from the zonal levels (1 from each zonal round) who will take part in the National Rounds.
Please note that the winners will have to bear a gift tax of 30%, in case of any cash prizes that are given away at any or all stages of the NSSC.
Part B: Poster & Slogan Contest
- Students who wish to participate in the Poster Making + Slogan Writing contest will have to submit their entries online to the email ID notified for this purpose by UL and/or XM.
- An entry may use any medium but must have a file size of 1MB to maximum 4MB. Files larger than this are likely to be rejected by the server. The format must be .jpg and PDF only, not ppt, pps, docx etc.
- Submission of an entry will imply that the student in question has not plagiarized or copied, in part or in totality, from an existing poster and/or slogan on the subject. It will be implicitly acknowledged that the student who submits such an entry, whether detected at the preliminary stage or after the contest is closed, will be responsible entirely for such an action.
- Any attempt to influence UL/ XM will result in automatic disqualification from the contest.
- The slogan must be in ENGLISH and must not have more than 15 words (120 characters including blank spaces and punctuation marks if any)
- The decision of the judge(s) appointed by UL and/or XM shall be final, and no claims shall be entertained whatsoever.
- Individual students are allowed to participate in the poster + slogan contest. This is not a team activity. However, there is no restriction on the number of eligible students from a particular school that may participate in this contest.
Part C: Safety Clubs
- Any registered school can establish a Safety Club. UL will provide each approved Safety Club with a Safety Kit.
- Schools that are keen to establish a Safety Club must register their interest on the website. The XM team will contact the school.
- Family members of UL and XM are not allowed to participate in NSSC.
- Any attempt to influence the results will be construed as an unfair move and such teams will be disqualified.
- The participants understand and agree that participation in NSSC are sponsored activities and the participation is voluntary on the part of the student.
- The participants understand that XM in consultation with UL may alter or change the format of NSSC, as well as the content of the applicable rules in relation to NSSC and that XM in consultation with UL, has the right to deviate, in so far as is reasonable, from the format of NSSC, rules or to supplement and/or change them.
- The participants agree to abide by all the rules and regulations in relation to the Quiz and to co-operate in every manner and to follow instructions of XM regarding qualification for and appearing on NSSC.
- The participants understand that all the rights including but not limited to the intellectual property rights, copyrights and all other allied, ancillary and subsidiary rights in any and all media in and to the photographs, tapes, movies and recordings of everything you say and do in NSSC, promotional activity and/or otherwise in and to NSSC whether now known or subsequently invented or may at any time after the date of the Agreement be entitled by virtue of or pursuant to any laws in force in the world shall vest with UL and XM or their affiliates absolutely for perpetuity, throughout the world. Participants grant XM and UL a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and to create derivative works of all photographs, tapes, movies and recordings of the participants related to NSSC, promotional activity and/or otherwise in and to NSSC concerning the participants related to NSSC, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, and any other standard purposes. XM or UL will not be required to pay any consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
- It is mandatory for the Winners of the Zonal Round (one from each city) to travel to Bengaluru for the National Rounds (Grand Finale) scheduled on November 16th, 2018. In case a winner is unable to participate in the National Rounds, preference would be given to 2nd runner up or 3rd runner up, as the case may be, of that particular city to participate in the National Round as a zonal winner. In such cases, participants will be intimated through email and there will not be any change in the decision whatsoever
- The participants understand and agree that UL & XM shall have the right to exploit NSSC and/or any footages relating to the program by any and all means throughout the world and shall also have the right to syndicate, license to third party, edit, cut, translate, dub, package or alter NSSC and/or any footages relating to your participation and/or my family as stated herein, and to combine them with other material for any purposes.
- The participants declare that they release UL & XM, their directors, employees, contractors and agents from and against any actions, claims and/or demands that you may have now or in the future in relation to NSSC; the broadcast of NSSC. You waive your right to file either yourself or through your family, any applications, criminal and/or civil proceedings in any court or forum in India and/or any other jurisdiction, against XM to claim any damages or reliefs.
- The participants agree to indemnify and agree to keep UL & XM, its employees, or any other person directly or indirectly connected to NSSC indemnified against any claim, loss, damages and liability arising as a result of your participation in any photo-shoots, workshops/ assignments, NSSC, auditions and/or otherwise.
- XM and UL reserve the right to cancel any part of or NSSC.
- Database of students (Email Id and Phone number) will be confidential and will not be shared with anyone externally. The database will be strictly used only for NSSC purposes and not for any other program/ campaign.
- The Management of XM and UL reserve the right to cancel/postpone/stop NSSC at its discretion or change all or any part of terms & conditions that are applicable, without giving prior intimation of any kind and being liable for any consequential losses/damages.
- Nothing herein amounts to a commitment or representation by XM or UL to conduct further or other quizzes/ contests.
- Comments of winners or materials sent to XM & UL including feedback and other communications of any kind shall be deemed to be non-confidential. XM & UL are free to reproduce, distribute and publicly display such feedback and NSSC entries without limitations or obligation of any kind. XM & UL are also free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such feedback for any purpose. XM & UL reserve the right to analyze and summarize data that they collect and also reserve the right to publish, distribute, share summaries of the data collected with sponsors or other business partners without limitations or obligations of any kind.
- The decision of XM and UL and/or its respective representatives, employees, directors, officers or agents with respect to NSSC, any matter related thereto including the choice of questions or the manner of choosing of winners will be final and binding on all participants and no questions, correspondence, enquiries, etc. on the manner of conduct of NSSC from any party whatsoever will be entertained.
- In no event shall XM & UL’s liability for any claim made by any participant for any reason exceed Rs. 5,000/-.
- In case of any dispute in relation to participation in NSSC, UL, XM and the participant will try to resolve such dispute by negotiations in an amicable manner. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of India. It is understood that the Court of Bangalore shall have exclusive jurisdiction with respect to any dispute arising in connection with your participation in NSSC.
- The interpretation and implementation of the Terms and Conditions shall be at the sole discretion of UL and XM. Their decisions shall be final and binding, and not subject to challenge or appeal.
- The participation of the students in NSSC shall mean that they acknowledge that they have carefully read and understood the Terms and Conditions of NSSC and that they agree to adhere to and comply with the foregoing Terms and Conditions (as they now stand or as they may be changed or amended hereafter).